Mar. 15, 2022



I’d reached my limit.  It was time to present “my plan” to those in charge:  “You must pull into the next large port, drop anchor, and escort me to dry land or--I fully-intend to jump-off this ship. You can throw me a raft and--I'll take my chances in the water.  I’m not crazy or in-need of attention.  I can’t and won’t spend another night on this floating Merry-Go-Round from Hell.”

When the doctor (from Sweden) suggested they had the right to restrain me--to keep me from “harming” myself---by placing me in a “locked” suite for the remainder of the trip-- I advised him to “re-think” such a decision.  I had no history of mental illness and, I had zero-tolerance for most medications but--I did have a long history as a Public Figure--a Television/ Radio Personality-- and was well-connected with the “right” people. If they doubted me, then allow me to make some phone calls.

The ship’s captain quickly took control of the conversation and assured me he would find a solution to my problem but—he would need several hours to connect with those “at the top.”   He asked me to be patient and insisted I sit in his “command center” while he initiated a plan.  Nearly two hours later, he directed me to return to my room and pack my bags. He asked me not to say anything to anyone and-- be ready to leave the ship in approximately 35 minutes.

I had barely finished packing when the captain's assistant knocked at my door. Without a word, he tucked my bags under his arms and ushered me to the main deck.  By this time, everyone on board was crowding the ship’s various decks, curious to know why the ship was docking at an unscheduled port. As I departed the ship, escorted by both the captain and the ship’s doctor, I felt thousands of eyes staring at me, wondering who I was, and why I was being removed from the cruise ship. One thing I’ve learned about life--after years of living--I don’t owe anyone an explanation for WHO I am, WHY I make certain decisions, or HOW I choose to live my life. I take full responsibility for my actions.

The first sign to greet me when I stepped on solid ground said “WELCOME TO ST. THOMAS”.   I learned the Cruise Line had a taxi waiting to take me to the nearest airport.  Thank goodness I had one-less- problem to worry about.  The Taxi Driver was happy to practice his English with me and so proud he could list the names of the three Airlines, from America, that provided regular service to and from St. Thomas.  I also learned-- for the next three days-- there was only one flight scheduled to leave St. Thomas for the United States and—that flight departed--today.  In fact, it was a Delta Airlines Flight, scheduled to leave St. Thomas in one hour for Atlanta, Georgia.  Passengers were already standing in line to board the flight and---all the seats were full!!!! I ran from one ticket window to the next, desperate to be placed on stand-by, frantic to find someone to help me.  Surely this Flight could squeeze me in--somewhere.  I must get home!

 Standing in that unfamiliar airport, surrounded by unfamiliar faces speaking an unfamiliar language and—suddenly--over the loud speaker I heard:  “Sally Miller, meet your Delta Pilot at gate number 3 immediately.” I was speechless.  People stopped talking to listen, and to wonder why a Pilot was speaking on the public announcement system.  Then it happened again:   “Sally Miller, Miss Arkansas, there’s no time to waste. Come to gate number 3.  Your Delta Pilot is waiting-- impatiently.” I grabbed my bags and started running. I knocked into endless numbers of people as I pushed and shoved my way through the crowds.  When I found Gate Number 3--- a man--- handsomely-dressed in a Delta Pilot’s uniform with Silver Wings on his lapel--- was blocking the entrance-- smiling and waiting--- just for me!

We grabbed each other and yes, my eyes over-flowed with tears when I realized this boy---now all-grown-up--- was my brother’s best childhood friend from Pine Bluff’s east side.  Robert Craig had graduated from PB High School in the early fifties, then left to see the world and now---almost thirty years later--- he’s a Delta Airlines Pilot--- hugging me in the St. Thomas Airport!

Robert immediately-took me under his "wing"--found me a first-class seat on his flight--and flew me safely to Atlanta.  He also made arrangements for me to spend the night at Atlanta’s Airport-Marriott so I could make my early morning flight--on Delta--back home to Little Rock. 

Before leaving me at my hotel, Robert explained how--through the years--he’d “kept” up with me and how he’d watched me on television the night I was in the Miss America Pageant. He said “You were like my little sister.  When I recognized you in the airport and over-heard your tale of woe, I knew it was time to take care of you.”  Then, Robert kissed me on the cheek and said: “Sally, I’ll always love you”--and left.

 Oh--- my Dear, Dear Robert--- and I'll always love you—for being my guardian Angel with beautiful wings.  I have no doubt--- God made all the arrangements but--- he placed his trust in YOU to “make everything happen.”  BOTH YOU AND GOD have my heart---my thanks, and---my love!

Sally Miller

Latest comments

17.10 | 01:42

I miss being Facebook friends with you! Hope you are well and happy.

Tammy Brookover Jay

15.10 | 01:28

Love all of this. I'm so lucky to be your neighbor,

30.08 | 16:26

Sally, my friend, I love your writings and sometimes they make me cry and then smile. I love you as if I had known you all my life. God Bless you each and every day in all you do.

29.08 | 19:19

Lol, I loved reading this story! As a female that dated a couple men with Harleys, I totally understand and met Harley Guy myself, many times over!
I hope you get your 3wheels someday soon!

Share this page