Sep. 14, 2021


After my family abandoned me, I became more depressed than anyone could-ever imagine.  As I desperately-tried to hold on to my job, my life---I kept-begging God to stop my pain and finally--I had no choice but---surrender all.

"I was coming home from working in Pine Bluff and, instead of taking the busy interstate (my usual route back to LR) I suddenly found myself driving on the old LR/PB highway.  An older car with dark windows insisted on riding my bumper and soon, my irritation turned to panic.  I instantly made the decision to turn off the highway at the very next driveway or intersection.  It’s difficult to explain how-- in those few seconds--I felt directed by a higher power and was simply following instructions.  After driving another ten miles, I saw a gravel driveway and felt the car turn into an abandoned church parking lot.  On the right side of the driveway, almost hidden among thick, tall weeds was a large puppy-- completely wrapped in barbed wire. I parked the car and walked back to look at the animal’s situation.  The brindle-colored dog was extremely thin and covered with flies, maggots, dried blood, and deer ticks. One of his ears was hanging loosely, as if it had been cut or torn. Worst of all, he was making a wheezing sound and panting heavily in the 100 degree heat.

There was no way to tell how long he had been in such an awkwardly- crouched position, unable to sit, lie down, or stand because of the wire’s sharp barbs.  The dog was surely dehydrated, starving, miserable in the heat, and needed immediate medical attention.  I had to take action, quickly.  Driving to an old store nearby, I bought wire cutters and heavy gloves, then hurried back to free the trapped baby.  It wasn’t easy and I wasn’t sure how the dog would react once I freed him.  But, I knew I wasn’t alone. An unseen power had directed me to this spot and now guided my hands as well as my heart. 

After surgeries, shots, blood transfusions--- almost one thousand dollars in medical treatment---Cubby Bear became my new and forever, best friend.  At the time I rescued Cubby Bear, he weighed less than thirty pounds. The vets estimated him to be about nine months old.  Today,Cubby weighs more than one hundred pounds.  He is a beautiful and highly-intelligent dog with a wonderful personality.  Cubby loves all three of my cats but, best of all, Cubby loves me.

Driving on the old Pine Bluff/Little Rock highway that August day, heartbroken and planning to end my life, I found Cubby Bear.   In truth, Cubby Bear found me”.

Sally Miller



Latest comments

17.10 | 01:42

I miss being Facebook friends with you! Hope you are well and happy.

Tammy Brookover Jay

15.10 | 01:28

Love all of this. I'm so lucky to be your neighbor,

30.08 | 16:26

Sally, my friend, I love your writings and sometimes they make me cry and then smile. I love you as if I had known you all my life. God Bless you each and every day in all you do.

29.08 | 19:19

Lol, I loved reading this story! As a female that dated a couple men with Harleys, I totally understand and met Harley Guy myself, many times over!
I hope you get your 3wheels someday soon!

Share this page