Jan. 11, 2020


I posted this chapter nearly four years ago today.... when I was still writing my book. Yes, I believe in MIRACLES.

"Four years ago, when I lost my family, when I was desperately trying to hold on to a job, my life, more depressed than anyone ever imagined and pleading for the pain to stop….I surrendered all.

I was driving home from teaching in Pine Bluff and, instead of taking the busy interstate (my usual route to Little Rock), I found myself driving on the old LR/PB highway. An older car with dark windows insisted on riding my bumper and soon, my irritation turned to panic. I made the decision to turn off the highway at the next driveway or intersection. It’s difficult to explain how, in those few seconds, I felt directed by a higher power.

After driving another five miles, I saw a gravel driveway leading into an abandoned church parking lot and turned immediately. On the right side of the driveway, almost hidden among thick, tall weeds, was a large puppy, completely wrapped in wire. I parked the car then walked over to look at the animal’s situation. The brindle-colored dog was very thin, covered with flies, fresh blood and large ticks. One ear was barely attached, as if it had been intentionally cut; the dog's breathing seemed a struggle in the 100 degree heat. There was no way to tell how long the dog had been there but he was in a crouched position, unable to sit, lie down, or stand because of the wire’s sharp barbs. The dog appeared dehydrated, starving, and desperately in need of medical attention. 

I quickly found an old store nearby, bought wire cutters and heavy gloves, then hurried back to free my trapped friend. I'd never used wire cutters and it wasn’t easy; I didn’t know how the dog would react once I freed him. But, I wasn’t alone; the power that directed me to this spot.... guided my hands..... as he guided my heart.

After almost one thousand dollars in complicated surgeries, shots, even blood transfusions, Cubby Bear became my new and forever, best friend. When I rescued him he weighed forty pounds and the vets estimated he was about 9 months old. Today, four years later, Cubby weighs more than one hundred pounds. He is brilliant, has a wonderful personality, and loves my three cats. Best of all, Cubby loves me.

Driving on the old PB/LR highway that August day in 2011, heartbroken and planning to end my life, I found Cubby Bear.

In truth, Cubby Bear found me."

Sally Miller

Latest comments

17.10 | 01:42

I miss being Facebook friends with you! Hope you are well and happy.

Tammy Brookover Jay

15.10 | 01:28

Love all of this. I'm so lucky to be your neighbor,

30.08 | 16:26

Sally, my friend, I love your writings and sometimes they make me cry and then smile. I love you as if I had known you all my life. God Bless you each and every day in all you do.

29.08 | 19:19

Lol, I loved reading this story! As a female that dated a couple men with Harleys, I totally understand and met Harley Guy myself, many times over!
I hope you get your 3wheels someday soon!

Share this page