Sep. 29, 2019


As a young wife and mother, my daily schedule consisted of raising two daughters, producing/ directing/hosting an early morning television show, teaching voice students, and conducting charm classes. I was also a homemaker who, day after day, prepared meals, cleaned the house, and did the laundry.

 One unseasonably warm December afternoon, I took a few minutes to sit on the patio while both girls napped. Consistently tired and weak, I looked for every excuse to rest. I had no idea that,  in only a few hours, my life would  drastically-change forever.

My next door neighbor, a high school student, saw me outside and walked over. After the usual niceties, the mannerly young man asked about my health, remarking that I looked weak and thin. I explained I was still recovering from the birth of my second child and major kidney surgery. The longer I talked the more emotional I became and soon was unable to control the tears. The young man, obviously embarrassed, listened politely as I confessed my husband’s affairs, the financial pressure from supporting myself and my daughters, and my reliance on prescription pills to control the anxiety, panic attacks, and depression.

 Promising a solution, my neighbor insisted we go to the high school track the next afternoon. My first attempt to walk around the track was a miserable failure. Two days later, thanks to my neighbor’s persistence, I complete my first-ever walk around a high school track. Not wanting to disappoint my young friend, I continued following his training suggestions.  Every afternoon, accompanied by both daughters, I walked around and around the high school track. Sometimes my young neighbor joined us and other times, his encouragement was simply a phone call.

Several weeks passed and my “coach” decided I needed bigger challenges. He suggested I walk around the blocks in our neighborhood and within ten days, my pace increased from fast walking—to jogging. It wasn’t long before I could jog three miles without stopping. Each morning at five o’clock, while the rest of the world slept, I jogged the neighborhoods.

Near the end of summer, a few days before the beginning of school, my young neighbor/coach stopped to check on me. He seemed happy I’d stopped taking the pills. At that moment, neither of us could have imagined how running would not only save my life—physically and mentally—but would someday propel me to China.

PS: In a few days, I’ll  share how Mark--- my dear, young neighbor--- crossed my path again…years later…in a very emotion and meaningful way.  It’s just another example of how there are no coincidences in my life.


Latest comments

17.10 | 01:42

I miss being Facebook friends with you! Hope you are well and happy.

Tammy Brookover Jay

15.10 | 01:28

Love all of this. I'm so lucky to be your neighbor,

30.08 | 16:26

Sally, my friend, I love your writings and sometimes they make me cry and then smile. I love you as if I had known you all my life. God Bless you each and every day in all you do.

29.08 | 19:19

Lol, I loved reading this story! As a female that dated a couple men with Harleys, I totally understand and met Harley Guy myself, many times over!
I hope you get your 3wheels someday soon!

Share this page